I wanna take a minute or two, and give much respect due
To the man that’s made a difference in my world
This blog is filled with emotion. As it should be considering it is an open sharing of my story.
You cannot go through life without people playing a role in shaping it. Good or bad, all those experiences contribute to your story, characters playing a role in shaping who you choose to become. When I went through my divorce I made a vow to myself, that experience would not shape me into a bitter – angry – man hating woman.
My life has been influenced just as much by all the good men that I have known as it has by the strong – intelligent women. It would be easy to place a blanket blame on men….writing them off as the “lesser” gender. It is another thing entirely to challenge yourself to learn from the hurdles and surround yourself with good men instead. We need the good men. As women we need to voice our appreciation of the good men – thank them when they stand beside us. It takes all kinds of people to create true, lasting change. We need the good men just as much as we need to build-up one another.
Yes, 30 in 30, is about empowering women, but it is also about including men in that conversation and movement.
Whether it was a family member, friend, colleague or boyfriend, good men have played a role in shaping who I am.
What have I learned about good men?
- They are gentle and compassionate.
- They think about their role in the world and want to make it a better place.
- They appreciate and respect, strong – intelligent women. Hell, they want to be in a relationship with one. (For me, this was a huge revelation.)
- They support and build-up the people in their lives.
- They are giving.
- They express emotion and are not afraid of vulnerability.
- They are equals.
- They challenge you just as much as you challenge them. As a result, you are both better people.
- They communicate and want to know your opinions. (Second biggest revelation)
- They are reliable.
To all the good men, Thank you for being you! You continue to inspire me. The world is a better place because of you. Let’s face it, when it comes to good men, no one says it better than Salt ‘N’ Pepa.